My Sexy Mac and Cheese recipe is another Southern Soul Food classic, handed down to me by my grandma. Bring this Mac and Cheese to any family function, bbq or cook-out and it will definitely steal the show!
It’s a commonly know fact that in Southern households, the Mac and Cheese is always BAKED in the oven. So this recipe is a BAKED Mac recipe of course!
This is also what I like to call a “blank-slate” recipe because you can get creative with the type of cheese, the seasonings and any other additions to the cheese sauce (seafood etc) . I’ll end my rambling here. Now let’s commence with the Sexy Mac and Cheese!
- 4 cups of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (2 Bags)
- 4 Cups of Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese (2 Bags)
- 1 1/2 Cups of Shredded Mild or Smoked Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large Box of Elbow/Macaroni Pasta (2 Small Boxes)
- 2 Cups of Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup of Butter (1 Stick)
- 2 Eggs
- Onion Powder (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Paprika (to taste)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- First prepare the pasta. Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the box. It is important not to overcook the pasta because you will also be putting it in the oven later. So cook the pasta until it is al dente.
- After the pasta is cooked, drain and set aside.
- For the cheese sauce, there are 2 options for preparation. There’s the “Cold” option and the “Hot” option.
- The “Cold” option: Combine the milk, heavy cream, cheese (sharp cheddar and Colby and Monterrey jack), butter, salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder in a large mixing bowl. The reason why I don’t have any specific measurements for the dry seasonings is because that is completely up to you! You can taste the milk and cheese mixture before you add the egg and season accordingly.
- Next, beat the 2 eggs separately and add them to the mixture and combine well. After placing your cooked pasta in the desired baking dish/pan, pour the ingredients over the pasta, make sure it’s all combined well.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of mild cheddar cheese on top making sure the surface is completely covered.
- The “Hot” Option: First get a large pot, preferably one that is non-stick. Add the milk, heavy cream and butter, stirring until the mixture is about to boil. (You can use a whisk).
- Next add the sharp cheddar, Colby and Monterrey jack cheese.
- When the cheese starts to melt, add the dry seasonings (salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika). Again, taste the cheese mixture and season accordingly. (If you find the cheese sauce to be a bit salty/bitter, a SMALL pinch of sugar always does the trick, and tones down the cheddar).
- Afterwards, beat the 2 eggs and add them to the mixture. Let the cheese sauce cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove. Add in your pasta and mix until all of the pasta is completely covered and blended into the cheese sauce. Pour the pasta into the baking dish/pan.
- Top the pasta off with the shredded mild cheddar cheese, making sure the whole surface is covered. You can sprinkle some paprika on top as well. This makes the baked Mac and cheese look even more smokey and sexy when you take it out of the oven!
- Bake the Mac and cheese for about 35-45 minutes. Be careful not to over-bake it. When the Mac and cheese is finished, the top should be nice and golden.
- It is best to let the Mac and cheese set for about 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven before serving.
- Grab a plate and eating utensil of choice……and DIG IN!
And there ya go! That wasn’t too hard right? I know you guys are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! As always, comment below if you tried out this recipe and let me know how it turned out. The ingredients also work well with Gluten Free pasta, just reduce the amount of milk to 1 Cup and reduce the amount of cheese to 2 cups per type of cheese (but not from the cheese that you sprinkle on top). Until next time,
From Kadraya, With Love.